Holcomb, Georgia Pacific, Asbestos & Mesothelioma: A case in the Supreme Court of Nevada ruled on appeal of a trial court verdict in connection with motions for summary judgment and causation tests.
The Holcomb, Georgia Pacific, Asbestos & Mesothelioma is about a construction worker and brake mechanic that claims that his mesothelioma diagnosis is the result of being exposed to asbestos fibers or dust while working on brakes and using joint compounds.
A brief summary of the Holcomb, Georgia Pacific, Asbestos & Mesothelioma case:
- Randy Holcomb’s died from mesothelioma, a cancer affecting the lining of the lungs, typically caused by exposure to asbestos. Holcomb died in 2008.
- Defendants include joint-compound manufacturers
- Bondex International, Inc., Kelly-Moore; Kaiser Gypsum; and Georgia Pacific, asbestos supplier Union Carbide,
- He working as a construction laborer and as an automotive mechanic.
- While performing sheetrock and drywall work using both dry joint-compound powder packaged in paper bags, which had to be mixed with water prior to use, and pre-mixed joint compound packaged in buckets
- Using Bondex, Paco, and Paco Quik-Set (manufactured by Kelly-Moore), Kaiser Gypsum, and Georgia Pacific brands of joint compound.
- As a brake mechanic in the automotive industry
- The brake jobs allegedly required scuffing, beveling, and filing the edges of asbestos-containing brakes, creating dusty conditions in which he breathed
- Under the Lohrmann test, the plaintiff is required to prove exposure to the defendant’s product “on a regular basis over some extended period of time” and “in proximity to where the plaintiff actually worked,” such that it is probable, or reasonable to infer, that the exposure caused the mesothelioma.
- The Court ruled: Accordingly, we affirm the summary judgment in Union Carbide’s favor but reverse the summary judgment as to the remaining respondents.
- To find out more on the Holcomb, Georgia Pacific, Asbestos & Mesothelioma case, see Case No. 56-510 – December 6, 2012.
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS